Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Psa Level Increase
An_248789 posted:
My PSA is normally .05-0.6 each year. recently had a PSA result of 7.0.
My urololgist retested PSA at his own facility and got a 5.7. Dr. Did a prostate biopsy- 12 samples. 1 sample came back hgpin,3 samples chronic prostatitis. I also had a upj narrowing that the Dr. stented. And now my gastroparesis has gone from moderate to severe. I am on TPN and can not eaqt anything and can only drink 6-8 oz water daily. Could the 3 problems have anything in common? Should I have another biopsy of prostate done later?
Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Seems like there is a lot going on. I don't think the problems are related.

With all that is going on, your prostate issues can certainly wait. I would consider starting a 5 ARI medication such as Avodart and Proscar and re-checking the PSA in 3-4 months. I suspect the PSA increase was from prostatitis and not cancer. Likely on the medication your PSA will be less than 1. (normally we see at least a 50% decrease, but I would expect a larger decrease in your case if this is truly from prostatitis)

Many experts believe that HGPIN is a pre-cursor to prostate cancer. I would follow the PSA and down the road consider doing a definitive biopsy at some point based on the clinical picture.
jameshodge responded:
Biopsies are pretty invasive and can have serious side-effects so I wouldn't recommend it much. get a second opinion from another doctor and also read up on prostate supplements like Super Beta Prostate reviews . You might find someone who was in the same situation as you.
Stan55 replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
Thank you!
Stan55 replied to jameshodge's response:
Thank you!

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 22 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center