Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
High PSA
Jess903 posted:
My father has been in remission for the past 15 years, he has been receiving a shot every 6 months for his prostate cancer. Recently his PSA levels have sky rocked and they are currently performing tests to find out if and where the cancer has spread. My parents are both portuguesse speaking and as their daughter i have to ask the correct questions and kinda know whats going on. If anyone has been through this please give me words of wisdom. I also heard that usually if the PSA levels have increased it usually means the cancer has spread, and usually to the lungs. Not sure if this is correct. I am just scared and trying to be strong about this whole thing. Please even if you know a little about this topic i would really appreciate your input or wisdom. Thanks
Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Jess,

It sounds as though your father is not what we call "CRPC" or "castrate resistant prostate cancer." You are correct in saying that a rising PSA after definitive treatment usually implies some type of disease recurrence, but this can be anywhere. Most commonly if its not in the area of the prostate then the most likely spots are lymph nodes or bones.

Fortunately, this is an exciting time in prostate cancer treatment with many new therapies available for this type of disease. Once the staging (CT scan, bone scan, etc.) studies are back you can discuss with your doctor possible therapies such as Provenge, Zytiga, Enzalutamide, and chemotherapy.

If your urologists is not experienced in managing advanced prostate cancer you may wish to get an opinion at a high volume center or from a medical oncologist who routinely treats advanced prostate cancer.

best of luck.
Dr Tareen

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 22 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center