Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Husband with stage 4 prostate cancer
Karen53 posted:
My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 PC...he was given hormone therapy and radiation seeds about 2 weeks ago. For the past 5 months he no longer can control his bladder at night. Is this a sign or symptom that his life expectancy is limited?

An_250922 responded:
My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 PC not quite a year ago. He has been on hormone therapy and completed 45 radiation treatments. About 2 months after the radiation was complete the bladder control got better. What I understand is that once radiation is complete, the prostate is no longer the issue. Normally, stage 4 PC means that the cancer has spread to his bones and they are now the main concern. As far as life expectancy, stop focusing on that, hormone therapy is step one of many different ways to fight off this Cancer. Every day is hard and you have a long road ahead of you. Stop panicking your husband is not going anywhere today or tomorrow. It's a roller coaster ride, hopefully you and your husband will reach the high point on the ride (weeks of when you wake up, cancer is not your first thought) and you are ready for the low points (when the numbers go up and you have to face more therapy or new therapy).

Karen53 replied to An_250922's response:
Thanks for your information....every bit helps!! Another thing happening right now for him is severe pain in the scrotum area. He's been having to take pain pills to stop the pain and get some sleep at night. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 10 years ago but refused to continue his treatment (putting radiation seeds in the prostate) so I do wonder how long it's been in stage 4. Hope all is well with you and your husband. Again thank you for your much needed words.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Dear Karen,

Often after radiation therapy patients will experience some frequency and bladder urgency. These symptoms can often be managed with different medications. You may wish to speak to the urologist about some opitons.

best of luck,
Dr Taeen

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center