Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prostate cancer
Bake0406 posted:
I too was diagnosed with PC. PSA went from 3.5 to 5.8 in one year, biopsy showed Gleason score of 8, and I've got my operation three days after I turn 50. Nice B-day gift, I guess. I'm coping by telling all of my buddies to get a physical, and get a PSA test...a piece of mind for me in that I feel I'm in a position to educate those that are close to me. I'm a triathlete and would never have suspected I had PC had I not been test for PSA over the past 5 years.

hmr53 responded:
Bake,

I moved out of state last year and am going home to see my folks next month.,..wondering if I should tell my DAD my psa jumped from 4.5 to 8.1 since December 2012. Biopsy was negative in December. Do you think I have cancer?
HR

PeteEvans responded:
Some doctors these days just prefer to wait and watch but in your case, being only 50, I understand why they would want to operate. My PSA is high but that is due to aging prostate health. I take beta sitosterol which is really effective. I'm 77 and the doctor says if I ever get cancer it would be better to determine the rate of growth before I conisder surgery.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center