Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Confused
kerrycoop123 posted:
Can someone tell me if i should be very concern. Two years ago my dad, 63, psa level was 4.5. he did a biopsy and there was a tiny asap in one of the areas and prostasitis in two areas. He has BPH. Subsequet it elevated to the highest of 7.1. In august 2012, his psa went back to within range to 3.3 after a consistent decline from previous readings. In January 2013, he was diagnosed with UTI. In March 2013, his PSA was 4.7, now he is being asked to do a repeat biopsy. Can anyone say what is the chance of cancer being present? Please help.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
There are a number of studies looking at ASAP. The typical recommendation is to repeat a biopsy. There is some difference of opinion as to the timing of this biopsy, but most would agree that it should be done within a year. The likelihood of having cancer on a subsequent biopsy is approximately 40%.

hmr53 replied to Basir U Tareen, MD's response:
Dr. Tareen,

I am a healthy 53 yo male who had a rising PSA over the last couple of years, from 2.5 to 5.1 My urologist repeated the PSA last December and it decreased from 5.1 to 4.5 after a round of Cipro but he biopsied me in December and it was negative. I just saw him 4 months later and my PSA has spiked to 8.1. He wants to wait 2 months, repeat test and if still high do a biopsy in the hospital. What is the likelihood that I have PC? I have no symptoms of BPH at all. I am kind of concerned and wonder if I should wait only 1 month before repeating the PSA test.
Thanks
HR

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center