Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
any advice on removing my catheter..??
cicero posted:
My surgeon advises that I will be removing my own catheter on day 10...he made it sound simple...anyone out there with first hand experience with this....is it really that easy..??

paulks responded:
This is really a no brainer. I did it a couple days ago . I got in the shower and cut the catheter with scissors between the penis and the ports. This allowed the fluid in the catheter bulb to drain out Then I took a deep breath and SLOWLY pulled the tube out while holding my penis. Then for comfort sake I took the first shower without a collection bag in months. It worked OK for me. Good luck.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
typically the nurse at the hospital or doctor's office should give you detailed instructions. Two options:

1. take an empty syringe (ideally 20cc) and remove the fluid from the balloon port (the one not hooked up to a bag) until nothing else comes out. I recommend placing some KY jelly at the tip of the penis and then gently pull the catheter out.

2. second option is to but the catheter as the other gentleman advised.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center