Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
PSA JUMP from 4.5 to 8.1
hmr53 posted:
I had a biopsy last December and it was negative. My PSA had been rising for last couple of years and was 4.5 at biopsy time. Now I just went to Urologist for f/u appt and my PSA is now 8.1!! He said we will do another PSA test in 2 months and also the urine test which is more sensitive. If it is still high, I am looking at a biopsy in the hospital where he can take more samples. He said from initial biopsy there is a 10% chance that cancer was missed. I am a bit worried now. I have no symptoms of prostatitis. I am 53 years old and my DAD had prostate cancer, but had surgery and is still alive at 88.
HR

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
Another option to consider is an MRI done at a high volume center with an experienced MRI radiologist. I agree w/ your urologist that often a significant cancer can be missed on biopsy. MRI will not only help identify a lesion in some cases but can be used to do an MRI guided biopsy of that lesion. That said, a 2nd biopsy is also a reasonable option.

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center