Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Overwhelmed need advice from anyone that has gone through the process
An_251587 posted:
I am 1 month short of my 50th birthday and for the past year I have received PSA levels that started at 4.15, back down to 3.15 and eventually went back to 4.87. Those numbers are not severe in anyway however I do have an abnormaility on the right side of the prostate which is slightly harder than it should be. I debated over the past year to take this new test called a pca3 test which is suppose to take the place of a biopsy but after my last review the doctor said lets get that biopsy.

I am 1.5 weeks after the biopsy and the results are in that I have 2 of the 12 grafts that came back positive for cancer at 10 and 15% and have a gleason score of 3+3(6) which is an average score. I'm still in shock over the results and need to figure out if I go the maintenance and careful watch method or something more radical. I'm trying to do as much research out there as possible and am frustrated, I think talking with others or joining a support group is also something I need to do, thanks for your time

spanz responded:
well, in the relative scheme of things, you are lucky. a 3 3 is realatively good, meaning it should not be an aggressive form of cancer. Mine was 4 3, which limited some of my options.

Seeds, beam radiation, prostatectomy, you need to check them all out. I might go with the radioactive seeds.

I was not given the seeds choice, because with the 4 3, they were too worried the cancer might be at the surface of the prostate where the seeds radiation might not reach. Did the davinci surgery. It was painful and a lot of after operation side effects. The radiation too has side effects, but the option of missing the pain is worth exploring!!!

I personally would get it worked on, instead of watching and waiting, but some recommend that way too.

GOOD LUCK!

Basir U Tareen, MD replied to spanz's response:
Bottom line is all the options are great options for you:

1. Active surveillance
2. radical prostatectomy
3. radiation (external beam or seeds)
4. cryotherapy
5. HIFU (not FDA approved in US yet)

Take all the time you need and meet with as many doctors as you need. At that time just make whatever decision you are comforable with. It will be the correct one.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center