Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Elevated psa test update
djtimewilltell posted:
I'm updating the results of my husband's psa test. First I will copy the first paragraph of the original post:

My husband, age 59, just had his annual check-up. He has had some symptoms of enlarged prostate, but for the past three years his psa levels were around .56 or so. This year, however they are at 5.2...a dramatic increase. The doctor couldn't detect any abnormalities during a digital exam, but notes that he isn't a urologist and doesn't have the experience they would have.

My husband followed the option of waiting 3 months to have a retest and it came back as 5.9 today. He was told they faxed the information/results to a urologist and to 'address it aggressively.' His appointment is in 10 days.

What can he likely expect at that appointment, and it is okay that I go, too, right? That seems like another significant increase again, isn't it? How concerned should we be? He seems to be calmer than I am, but maybe he's just better at dealing with this.

Thanks for your input!

billh99 responded:
it is okay that I go, too, right?

Yes, as long as you husband agrees.

Many doctors and patient advocates recommend it.

What can he likely expect at that appointment,

Most likely just a digital rectal exam. Maybe an ultrasound of the prostrate to check the size.

He might want to run some more blood test first.

Then, most likely, he will discuss having a biopsy done.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center