Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weight gain after radical prostectamy
AER1939 posted:
I had a radical prostectamy 2 years ago and also some lymph nodes were cut. In 2 years i have put on 45 pounds and can't seem to lose it. I weight train 2 days a week and also do cardio the other days. Whenever I do high intensity workouts I tend to get nauseous. I am stronger than ever but I just can't build up the stamina necessary for high intensity workouts. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you deal with it? Thank you for any help!

billh99 responded:
Have you had blood work done to see if anything else is going on?

I did not have my any lymph nodes removed, but have not had any problem controlling my weight since my prostectamy, also 2 years ago.

romel2020 responded:
Hello AER1939, My name is Romel and I am scheduled to have a radical prostectamy soon (June 13 2013). My PSA is 26 and my Dr. says that he is concerned that there may be a chance that the cancer has spread, so he is going to cut the lymph nodes as well to check and see. I am encouraged to hear that you are physically active and was wondering if you could share more of your story. (PSA at time of surgery, recovery process/problems and any other info that might prove encouraging). I am 51 years old and this is very overwhelming for me.

AER1939 replied to romel2020's response:
Romel.
I was 50 when I had my surgery. My PSA was 9. No cancer was found outside the prostate. The reason I had my lymph nodes removed because the cancer was on the edge of the prostate. The main problems I had after surgery were some bad gas pains because of air pumped in my stomach during surgery. I dealt with some painkillers. I some hot flashes, a urinary tract infection and not able to achieve an erection. I then did follow radiation later on as a precaution. My spa now is 0.04. While these were all inconvienant along with the weight gain because my metabolism is messed up I would do it again. I am still alive which is the main things.

romel2020 replied to AER1939's response:
AER1939,
Thank you very much for your honesty, candor and insight. This gives me inspiration to move forward through this situation.
Thank you very much.

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center