Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Informed that I have prostrate cancer
Randy82463 posted:
Hi, I am 49 and have a PSA of 3.56. My biopsy found cancer in 1section, Gleason score 3+3. 3 years ago my PSA was 2.25. Dr suggest that I get the prostate removed. Couple of questions I have is - would it hurt to wait 3 months before procedure? And what would be best option. Dr wants me to comeback in a month with my choice. Thank you or your comments.

bogie11 responded:
I would certainly investigate proton radiation before deciding on surgery. That was my choice, and I am delighted with the results: no side effects, no pain, and no change to my ability to function as before. You can't lose by checking into it.

billh99 responded:
In general prostate cancer is slow growing. And you don't need to make an immediate decision.

In fact if you where 60 and had the same numbers they would probably offer you Active Surveillance. That is where they monitor the PSA and take periodic biopsy to see if the cancer is progressing.

But at your age treatment is generally recommended.

You have the option of surgery, radiation and some less common methods such as cyro (freezing), ultrasound, some other. They are only done in a few areas and some are experimental.

Of the radiation there are several methods, implanted seeds, external radiation (of which there are several different methods).

The latest research has shown that the benefits & side effects are similar to other forms of radiation.

Also research has shown that after 2 years people that have had radiation treatments have the same quality of life as those that have surgery.

Side effects from surgery are generally worse just after the surgery and improve upto 2 years. Radiation side effects are mild at the start and can get worse over the next 2 years.

Radiation from implanted seeds have slightly less side effects than other forms of radiation.

But every person is different, reacts differently, and have different concerns.

I had robotic surgery and was well satisfied with the results. If you click on my name you will see older post that I made which give more details including the reason that I chose surgery.

Here is a resource.
http://www.ustoo.org/

Start under About Prostate Cancer and then Newly Diagnosed and Treatment Options.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center