Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prostitis or Prostate cancer
An_252504 posted:
Following is a time line of events
Nov 2011 — Pain in lower back near kidney area. CT scan, Digital Rectal Exam and Kidney function performed. All tests came out normal.

Jan 2013
I visit ER for pain. Im given nitrofuranton and diclifenac voltaren . as an after thought doctor says check his Kidney function.

The test result came at 6 pm on 10th jan. Creatinine now was 179 (2.1)

I was hospitalized for 2 weeks until creatine came back normal. I was told that I had a reaction to Voltarin injection.

After four long months, I decided to write down all the damn tests I did and what the outcome has been.

All below tests have been conducted over the last 3 weeks.

Antinuclear antibody (ANA) — Normal

SSA & SSB Normal

complete blood count (CBC) - Normal

C-reactive protein (CRP), Normal

erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR or sed rate), Normal

Ultra Sound Shows massive prostate calcification.
PSA 3.3 - No base line available

Kidney Function Normal

Liver Function Normal

Urine Analysis Normal

A week ago I have had a follow up visit with the doctor. The visit was planned in April and involved review of all kidney tests and ultra sounds. The tests were reviewed by the doctor and the answer was, all looks really good and no more follow up required for 1 year. Creatinine is now very stable except one minor flare in April. I have been told , I do not have a kidney disease, good news:)
However, I have had constant pain in lower pelvic area, back area, hips etc and frequent urination issues over the past 3 months (which I thought were due to excess water was drinking). The pain in the back has stayed steady all this long. Comes and goes. However, now I have hard burning sensation in the urinary area and pain in hip. So I went now to a Urologist.
Now this is another new Doc since my neph is on a 1 month leave. The doctor ordered a PSA and the result came as 3.3 (lab range for my age group is 0-2.83).
He said I have something called Prostitis. Ultra sound of the abdomen showed mild prostate enlargement/calcification but nothing more. DRE was not done. The doctor gave me antibiotics and asked me to see him in 3 weeks. I told him or sort of questioned him, please see the big picture, I have had similar issues or identical issues before. Are you sure I don't have prostate cancer???or something that serious. The answer was …you must not think like that. Come on you are young man…you have 1 in 12000 chance to get it. We cannot also think of a biopsy as your PSA is border line. No family history and all that crap….ok..hello…but I have symptoms and this could be anything.
My problem is seriously wat to do next. These guys here are only looking at the nuts and bolts of things (giving antibiotics for infection and getting creatinine testing for kidneys) and I want them to see the big picture. I have asked 3 senior nephrologists why could my kidneys have failed in the first place. The answer was, no one can answer this question. We do not see any reason other than drug induced which was given due to the pain I had at that time. Since now the kidneys are ok, you are fine.
I am looking for a Urologist who can look at the history and say, we need to actually do this and then wait, rather than doing random testing and medication. Any responses are welcome.

sam1985 responded:
Acute bacterial prostatitis is the least common of the four types, but also the easiest to diagnose and treat effectively. Men with this disease often have chills, fever, pain in the lower back and genital area, urinary frequency and urgency often at night, burning or painful urination, body aches, and a demonstrable infection of the urinary tract as evidenced by white blood cells and bacteria in the urine. The treatment is an appropriate antibiotic. Learn more on:
http://www.empowereddoctor.com/8012/cancer-treatment-center-philadelphia/

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center