Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Proton Therapy in Florida?
MuDdLe1957 posted:
Hi, Everyone.

I frequented these boards some 8 years ago when I was diagnosed. I received much good info and guidance. Went on to choose a treatment for my rather aggressive PCa and have lived with good results ever since. (Ask me and I'll share more. I'm quite happy with my choice, but will offer an honest assessment. )

I'm actually here for a friend who was just diagnosed. He's trying to learn of treatments available, and was interested in Proton therapy (not what I had). He lives in Central Florida (Space Coast). I am wondering where the best centers in Florida are for this treatment. I had thought that Mayo in Jacksonville offered this, but so far I'm not finding clear evidence of this. Thought I'd seek out some personal experience.

Thanks.

MDL

bogie11 responded:
I went to UFPTI in Jacksonville 4-1/2 yrs ago and was extremely pleased with the result. The staff is amazing, and I have had no side effects. Since then at least a dozen men in this area have had the same treatment with the same result. In fact, we call ourselves a proton fan club, and meet once a month.

MuDdLe1957 replied to bogie11's response:
Thanks for this very helpful information. I found their web page, wrote down their contact info, etc., and gave it to him. This sounds ideal for him.

I wound up choosing RCOG. Had seed implants in 12/05 followed by 35 EBRTs. Had a couple of PSA bounces and some rather nasty side effects in the first 18 mos or so, but my PSA settled in at 0.1 and hasn't moved. No side effects either as of today. I'm happy with RCOG, but had proton therapy been more widely available then I might well have gone that route.

bogie11 replied to MuDdLe1957's response:
If your friend calls UFPTI they will and him a packet of info, which includes a book by Bob Marckini that discusses the pluses and minuses of the various treatments for prostate cancer. I chose proton therapy and have never regretted it. My stay there with my wife was an altogether fun time,and we made several new friends who were there for the same reason.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center