Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PSA level jumps up slightly after Radioactive Seed Implants
Carribiancool posted:
I am a 42 yr. old who was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer back on April of 2012 my PSA level had jumped from 1.90 in 3/2011 to 2.68 on 4/2012.My Gleason score showed 3+3 in one of two cores and a 3+4 in two of two coreswith 5% of tissue on both. I decided to have Radioactive Seed Therapy because taking out my Prostate was too risky due to me having a kidney transplant. I had my PSA level checked 3 times since the implant and the first one was on 10/2012 1.98 and 3/2013 1.24 and my last one I just did it was 9/2013 1.40 so it went up just a little. Should my levels be lower like under 1.00 and should I be worried that it jumped up a little? If you have any info that can help let me know. Thanks

MuDdLe1957 responded:
Bounces after radiation are pretty common, I am told. What you are experiencing at present is likely no cause for alarm. However, if you have a series of consecutive rises, then you will want to attend to it.

I had seeds (12/05) followed by 7 weeks of EBRT in the early weeks of 2006. I was 48 at the time. Of 12 biopsy samples, 10 were positive for cancer and an eleventh was "suspicious." The percentages ranged from 5% at the low end and very high--I'm trying to recall--like 80 or 90% at the high end. There was a bit of grade 4 in one or two of the samples, so my Gleason was 3 4. Digital exam was normal--twice.

My PSA was approaching 4.0 going in to treatment. Immediately after treatment it had dropped to 1.8. Then, as I seem to recall, it went down to something like 1.2, then back up to 1.6, hovering around there for a couple of PSA checks. I was getting nervous.

So I definitely experienced a bounce, as many patients do. At the same time I had some pretty awful urinary symptoms, including some bouts of dark blood and clots in the urine as well as urinary restriction and urgency (I fell a step or two short of the restroom a time or two). My best guess is that this was all due to residual inflammation from the radiation.

But eventually--after 18 mos or so--my PSA began to descend and my symptoms completely disappeared. The PSA went to 0.1, where it has now been for 4 or 5 years.

Happily, many of the details are now fuzzy as I have not had to think much about either the disease over the past few years.

The clinic where I was treated views treatment as successful if the PSA drops to 0.2 or less and stays there. Here's hoping that this is where you are headed!

Cheers!

Carribiancool replied to MuDdLe1957's response:
Thanks for sharing your experience with me, I am hopeful from all the info you gave me and from what the doctors have said before I had the seed implant. I am looking forward to the day my PSA will drop below 1.0 and into single digit numbers.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Vacuum Pump
Radical prostate surgery 7 years ago. Now 67. Have used the injection with success. Best overall is the manual vacuum pump that I currently ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center