Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
POST RADIATION SURGERY
DAVEECT posted:
I HAD A LARGE RETROPERITONEAL LIPOSARCOMA REMOVED IN 2/2012 WITH FOLLOW UP EXTERNAL BEAM RADIATION. QUARTERLY CT SCANS CLEAR. I HAVE DEVELOPED A LARGE ABDOMINAL HERNIA WITH RECTUS DIASTASIS. MY SURGEON ADVISES AGAINST REPAIR DUE TO POTENTIAL COMPLICATIONS AND THE RISK OF MAKING POSSIBLE SUBSEQUENT SURGERY FOR TUMOR RECURRENCE MORE DIFFICULT. SHOULD I SEEK A SECOND OPINION?

billh99 responded:
I am not familiar with your condition.

But anytime you are unsure of your treatment options it is certainly wise to get a second opinion.

Basir U Tareen, MD responded:
I think if you are asking the question than of course get a second or even third opinion until you are comfortable you have enough information to decide for yourself.

I would, however, agree with your surgeon that you want to be confident of the recurrence status and the stability of the disease before undergoing any definitive hernia repair.

Best of luck,
BT

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center