Skip to content
Oncologist differs with Urologist
marinemustangpa posted:
My great Urologist who I have been under the care of for 16 years retired last month partly because running the business was getting too complicated. Since my PSA was 24 he was getting near advising hormone therapy. But since he was retiring he suggested that I transfer under the care of an Oncologist and recommended one who has practiced her profession for around 30 years. My Urologist said he would use her and would also recommend her to family and friends.

I had my first appointment with the Oncologist last month and was really happy and somewhat surprised that she spent about an hour with me. When discussing hormone therapy she said that there really is no magic number when a patient should begin the therapy. She suggested that the therapy need is driven more by symptoms and test results beyond the PSA. She ordered some blood tests and also a bone and C-Scan. My last bone , C-Scan and MRI were done two years ago. The results of current tests as was the case of the previous one indicated no metastasis disease was detected. I also had a PSA which went down from 24 to 19. Based on that and that I have no pain or symptoms to indicate the prostate cancer has advanced beyond local advanced we are just going to carefully watch and decided when to do hormone therapy, which makes me happy since I really wasn't looking to lower quality of life unless really necessary.

My background is I had a 4.2 PSA 16 years ago. Over the course of 6 years the PSA gradually went up and during that time I had 4 biopsies, two of which were negative and two positive showing a small foci of cancer in one area, the lower left apex. The first biopsy was positive but questioned, the second and third were negative, and finally the fourth was again positive in the same area and with the near same reading as the first. My PSA was 9.5 and Gleason was 3+4=7. I selected IMRT and received 40 doses. My PSA went down to 1.5and over the years has slowly gone up to the present reading. It has now been 9 years since I received the IMRT.

I am providing this information to possibly help others to understand one man's journey with prostate cancer. I had no adverse reaction to IMRT except for the normal sexual drive affect. I have never had any pain and am able to exercise 30-40 minutes a day on treadmill and with long walks.

Any comments and/or questions are welcomed. And, good luck to all in their personal journey with PC.

Helpful Tips

Using Social Fundraising
The costs of treating and surviving prostate cancer can be staggering, and insurance doesn't cover everything. Using social fundraising ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center