Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prostate Cancer Options
houson1 posted:
I am 51 years old. I learned a couple weeks ago I had stage II prostate cancer. Of my biopsies 2 came back a 6 and one a 7. I have spoken to my urologist and a radiologist concerning my treatment options. I thought about Brachy Therapy because the procedure takes less than 2 hours and targets my cancer with radiation, but it would make me radioactive for at least 6 months. The External Radiation would be 44 treatments done over 8 1/2 weeks, 5 days a week. My concern is that if the cancer should come back later, that i wouldn't be able to have prostate surgery and that it could come back stronger. The other option is having the prostate surgery and getting rid of the cancer once and for all. I wasn't leaning towards this option, but I was considering being part of a study group that either got radiation, or radiation and hormone therapy. I have had concerns about the side effects from each option, and the quality of life issues, but more so I would consider the robotic surgery if it got rid of my cancer and there was no chance for it to come back and spread to other parts of my body. Radiation on the other hand not only kills the bad cells but the good one's too. I am in a quandary as to what to do, but the more I think about I think about having the surgery. I went to a prostate cancer support group meeting and got many of my questions answered by peole who have already gone through what I may be going through, but many are older than me in their late 50's or 60's or 70's and I am young compared to the people who have gotten prostate cancer at an older age.

rjorgeron responded:
I don't where you are located, but if you are anywhere near Atlanta, I would suggest making an appointment with Dr. Jaime Wong of the Jenkins Clinic. He does a procedure called Irreversible Electroporation of the Prostate, also know as a Nano Knife. The prep time is longer than the actual procedure. I was only in the hospital for about 3 or 4 hours. The procedure involves placing a series of probes into your prostate around the cancer cells and building up an electrical field of 3000 volts. This electrical field pokes holes in the walls of the targeted cells and causes them to die. After the procedure I had a catheter in for about a week and then had to catheterize myself for another week until the swelling of the prostate subsided. I never had any pain with the procedure and took no pain medication. I will tell you than I can no longer ejaculate, but I do have orgasms. I was having troubles getting an erection before the procedure and no cannot attain an erection without the use of a vacuum pump. I am very pleased with the way I was treated by Dr. Wong and his staff. They are absolutely wonderful. On the first visit to him, he insisted that my wife came with me and we spent over 2 hours discussing various treatment options. My urologist took about 10 minutes with me, 2 weeks after he told me that I had cancer. When I was diagnosed in 2011, I was 52. the good thing about this treatment is that if the cancer should come back, you can have the treatment done again, or you can have surgery, radiation, chemo, whatever option you prefer as long as you are healthy enough for it. Also, in theory, the prostate could regenerate and begin working again. My PSA has been great, around 0.5 on average. Dr. Wong told me that it has to get to 2.5 for him to decided to do another biopsy to see if the cancer is back. I hope this helps you in your decision making. I want to wish you well and much luck in your treatment. Others on this forum swear by Proton Radiation therapy. I don't know a lot about it, but they say it virtually has no side effects. I don't about having surgery after this treatment, should the cancer come back, but it is an other treatment option you may want to look into.

billh99 responded:
One thing about prostrate cancer is that the biopsy only samples a very small portion of the prostrate.

This is one of the reasons that I chose surgery. The whole prostrate is checked. They can see has breached the capsule or not.

In my case the PC was found from testing the residue from a TURP so I never had a regular biopsy. But the pathology report from the removed prostrate only showed a small amount of moderate grade (3 4) it ran in 2 threads from one edge to the other, but not yet through the capsule.

houson1 replied to rjorgeron's response:
I used to live in the Buckhead area, and I even had a doctor at Emory University, but now I live in Ohio. I am unsure that this procedure that you are describing is done over here. Everyone in my family seems to have an opinion of what I should do, but this is my decision to make as it is my body. I called 1-800 4CANCER to try to get some answers but all they could do is send me some reading materials. I will talk with my doctor on Monday about the Divinci procedure. To me it is a no brainer to remove the prostate that has the cancer and maybe spare the nerve tissue around it, than to go through the other procedures like radiation which means 44 trips to the hospital, and maybe even more if I have hormone therapy, and then there is no guarantee that some day the cancer could come back and spread to other parts of the body. I sell insurance and one of the things we do is to help limit exposure to risk. So if I decide that surgery is the way to go, then I believe limiting my exposure to having cancer come back later in my life and then having to have the surgery makes less sense than having the surgery now when I am a good candidate for it, and my cancer is in its early stages. Thank you for your reply.

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center