Skip to content
Blood in semen
enoughalready82 posted:
Hello. I wasn't sure where else to post. Please read. A brief history: About 8 years ago I noticed blood in my semen. It ranged from spots (clots?) and streaks of blood to pink to looking like flat out blood. It scared the crap out of me. It was also at the beginning or end of a stream of urine (especially while going #2). I went to the doc who sent me to a urologist. I had numerous urine tests done then. The urine tests showed blood in there once because after taking a bunch of them I finally pushed at the end of the stream so I could show it was actually happening! After that I had numerous PSA tests done. (The highest I believe being a 1.9?..) I was told that was normal but a high end of normal... After that the urologist (who scared the CRAP out of me with the word cancer!) wanted a full work up. I ended up having 2 CT's done, numerous prostate exams and the incredibly fun cystoscope. All seemed to come back with good results so he gave me a levaquin and sent me on my way. All this lasted well over a month with the doctors visits and testing. This was about 7-8 years ago.

Well the hematospermia never fully went away. It continued for a while and then actually seemed to disappear for maybe a full year once. I've had it on and off since then and it always freaks might right out but it usually goes away within 5 days to 3 weeks.

Well I have now had it for about a month non stop and I guess I'm posting to see if there's anyone in here that's had this problem this long or if there is an expert with an opinion. It still comes out at the end of a urine stream (rarely) and at the beginning of a stream (very rarely). It's been all different kinds of bloody in my semen the last four weeks or so. I guess I'm just freaking out because it's lasting so long and I'm sick of it. I also do not want to go through all that awful testing again.

Also whenever this happens I end up peeing more and pushing more urine out on purpose. I also drink A LOT of water when this is happening so all that could lead to more frequent urination.

UUUUGH! Sorry this was so long. Thanks for reading. Frustrated!

enoughalready82 responded:
I also would like to add that I am now a 31 year old male.

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center