Skip to content
PSA Levels
An_257628 posted:
I am a 44 year old male and have had 2 recent PA tests with a first test being at 4.3 had a second test three weeks later with a level of 4.
My urologist at Urologist Assoc. in Phoenix has told me the next step is a biopsy.
I am not sure what to do and if my PSA level for my age is really a concern? My Dr. said it was.
I have read PA tests are not reliable and one can end up receiving unneeded treatments and aggravating any existing cancer from a biopsy.
Is there anyone who can guide me into making my next decision?

billh99 responded:
There are two concerns about PSA and PC treatment.

PC is usually, but not always, slow growing. After detecting PC it is often 15-20 years before it causes death. For elderly they will frequently die from other causes.

However, at 44, IF you have PC then it will have time to become fatal.

The other concern is that PSA ia not very specific. A number of things can affect PSA. That includes age related prostrate enlargement, having sex, riding a bike or horse, inflammation of the prostrate, and of course PC.

At your age the normal range of PSA is 0-2.5 for a white or 0-2.0 for a black or asian.

http://www.medicinenet.com/prostate_specific_antigen/page3.htm

aggravating any existing cancer from a biopsy

There is no indication that a biopsy causes the cancer to spread.

However, initially the PC can be in a very small area and missed by the biopsy. It is not unusual to have biopsies over several years before the PC is found.

At your age I would not ignore this.

But you might want to wait about 3 months can get another PSA test to be sure. Also aks for a Free SPA test. That is a little more sensitive to indicating PC.

walter45 replied to billh99's response:
What would the normal PSA numbers be for a Native American male?

billh99 responded:
I really don't know.

For lack of better information I would guess the same as Asians.

Helpful Tips

Using Social Fundraising
The costs of treating and surviving prostate cancer can be staggering, and insurance doesn't cover everything. Using social fundraising ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center