Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Having a psa of 7.9 scared
theworrier1 posted:
I am 67 and have had an enlarged prostate for years -i take rapaflo 8 mg and the doctor took a sonogram on 8/1/14 and said I was emptying my bladder . He did a dre and all was fine except for enlarged prostate. I had a psa of 3.3 in jan 2014 and now why 7.9 with % free psa of 20 . I am going for an mri on Tuesday worried about this- any comments on this?

billh99 responded:
That high of PSA and rapid increase is concerning. But there are other reasons that PSA can be elevated. Was the blood taken after the DRE? That can inflate PSA.

But unitl you get more test there is nothing to be worried about.

theworrier1 replied to billh99's response:
Blood was taken after dre-just don't understand it. I have had an enlarged prostate for years - really scared it might be cancer.
Have trouble urinating in the morning when I first get up and then the rest of the day is fine. I only get 1x a night.
Scared to death about this.

Thanks for responding , appreciate someone is listening.

sam1985 replied to theworrier1's response:
Yes i too completely agree to what billh says, get all the tests done ASAP!!

theworrier1 replied to sam1985's response:
Had mri 2 suspicious lesions with the largest in the left peripheral zone in the mid section of the gland without extension through the capsule - a smaller lesion is seen of the central gland half distance between apex and base further evaluation is suggested. Going for biopsy on wednesday. - any thought on this ?

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center