Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
End Stage (?) Prostate Cancer
sp11314 posted:
Hello all, I hope someone can clarify this for me although I know there
are no exact answers.

I think my father in law is at the end or close to it from prostate cancer but I'm not sure. He has severe pain in his spine and hips. He can walk but it's difficult. Morphine is no longer enough, he was just prescribed dilaiudid - probably spelled wrong, something like that and it helps.

He is not hospitalized and not incontinent. He eats, but not much, what with all the drugs.

How much time does he have, does anyone have any idea? What can we expect? Is hospitalization inevitable? Can anything make his remaining time any better?

Thanks for any advice and God bless all of you, this is a terrible disease. He's such a nice man.

By the way I posted this as a "reply" to the "Welcome" discussion which maybe I should not have done, sorry for the duplicate..

bogie11 responded:
I don't think that anyone can predict his time. I just hope that his current medication is enough to ease his pain. TLC is one thing that should make his life a bit easier. Having loving friends and relatives is a big plus. I wish you the best.

sp11314 replied to bogie11's response:
bogie11, thanks for your reply. I just wonder if it means something in terms of his time left to have this amount of pain. It got worse very fast in the past three weeks.

Does radiation help the pain?

Thanks for the kind words.

az4peaks2 replied to sp11314's response:
Hi sp11314, - It is probably time for SOMEONE to become the contact with his Doctor, to determine where he factually stands in his PCa journey. If in the Doctor's estimation, the remaining time is 6 months or less, than Hospice would be a logical consideration.

Hospice does require recognition that the patient is terminally ill and that no further curative efforts will take place and emphasis will be made on keeping him more physically comfortable as his situation inevitably deteriorates. If the Doctor feels that Hospice is NOT an appropriate CONSIDERATION, you will know that his life expectancy exceeds the requirements for participation.

Hospice is the most humane and caring approach to the end of life realities, in my opinion and can be very comforting to both the patient and his loved ones. It does, however, mean realistically confronting the limitations of one's own mortality and so the patient must be willing to do so, as well as do those who love him.

It can be done on a home visit basis, if it is practical and appropriate to do so in the individual case. Good luck! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

sp11314 replied to az4peaks2's response:
az4peaks2, thanks for your advice. My husband will go with his parents this week to meet with the doctors and get the latest MRI results. I will mention Hospice to him.

Based on these past 3 weeks and how fast he deteriorated I'd say he does not have 6 months left. But that's why I wrote the question: I have no frame of reference.

Does the patient have to bedridden to get hospice care? He isn't, he still gets up, get dressed (with his wife's help), and is mobile although it's increasingly difficult.

az4peaks2 replied to sp11314's response:
The determining factor is life expectancy and the acceptance that no curative care will be rendered, only palliative care to relieve suffering and morbidity (side effects). I would suggest that you call and talk with a Hospice organization in your area, for the detailed requirements for acceptance and participation. - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center