Skip to content
hormone therapy
jmr3866 posted:
I have had radical surgery in 2002 following a PSA of 5.4 and a Gleason score of 7; and my PSA dropped to 0.01; however, the margins on the surgery were questionable. Then by 2008 my PSA slowly climbed to 0.4. Following that I took radiation in 2008 and the PSA dropped to 0.089, now 2 years later it is up to 0.39 and my oncologists is asking for a pelvis and a CT bone scan, following which, if all is clear to start hormone therapy. On average how effective is hormone therapy? And how often must one take shots? Are they expensive?

JayL66 responded:
I am in a similar situation. No prostate, but an non zero, low, and increasing PSA. My oncologist at Mass General in Boston tells me (and I have also read it elsewhere) that the hormone treatment extends life the same amount whether it is done early when the PSA score is low (as is our case right now) or put off until we start getting symptoms and/or have a high PSA score.

Since there are serious side effects to the hormone treatment (enlarged breasts, loss of libido, etc) there really isn't any reason not to put off the hormone treatment for as long as possible. After all, somebody may come up with a better way to fight prostate cancer that has spread before we need to start the hormone treatment.

Helpful Tips

Using Social Fundraising
The costs of treating and surviving prostate cancer can be staggering, and insurance doesn't cover everything. Using social fundraising ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center