Skip to content
WILL SEX PRIOR TO POST-OP PSA TESTING AFFECT THE READING?
An_216433 posted:
While it is understood that sexual activity prior to PSA testing affects a patient who has not yet undergone a prostatectomy, I am not clear as to whether sex just prior to PSA testing after a prostatectomy may adversely affect the reading. The definition of sex in such cases would be activity resulting in climax and orgasm without ejaculation since the prostate, seminal vesicles etc. have been removed during the surgery.
This subject is not touched upon and may be useful for individuals whose sexual desires/urges might be prompted by an upcoming PSA test (i.e., PSA anxiety) especially if the individual has reason to be concerned about a potential rise in his PSA level.

HIFU4me responded:
Exercise, such as jogging also has the effect of raising the PSA level 24 hours prior to testing.

COPERNICUSBA replied to HIFU4me's response:
I posed the issue to which you have replied and your observation appears to be logically well taken. I do exercise frequently per week (which includes the use of a stationary bicycle), however, I think, that, unless you are a urologist or prostate cancer oncologist, the best route to answer these issues would be by direct consultation with a medical professional qualified to provide the correct response so that myths are not created. This is not, however, to berate your response. On the contrary. My issue specifically is directed to individuals who have already had a prostatectomy and go for periodic PSA follow up testing. Since it had not occurred to me that the issue of exercise may have an effect on the PSA readings of people who have had a prostatectomy, I do thank you for your having raised this issue. I will clarify these issues with my oncologist at my upcoming visit. Being better informed about what to do or not to do prior to PSA testing after a prostatectomy will highly serve this patient population.
For the community of individuals who do need to follow up with PSA readings on a periodic basis AFTER surgery, the answers to these issues are very important in order to avoid having a reading which might be skewed thereby creating unnecessary anxiety.

az4peaks2 responded:
To specifically answer your question, in my opinion, NO! Sex and most other activities that MAY affect PSA readings prior to surgery should, normally, not effect POST-SURGERY PSA readings.

Their effect was due to temporary "trauma" to, or '"stimulation" of the Prostate Gland, whose function was to produce a liquifying agent that expedited the delivery of semen to the recipient.

Now that the Prostate has been eliminated from the body, subsequent "monitoring" PSA results should be largely unaffected by such events. - John@newPCa (aka) az4peaks

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center