Skip to content
Question: Newly Diagnosed
An_216438 posted:
Hi - My father was recently diagnosed with PC. Biopsy's taken (5 from each side) all tested positive. A bone scan and cat scan are scheduled. Are the "scan" tests a signifier that the PC has indeed spread based on the biopsy results or is these standard tests? He was also told that radiation will need to be given. So many questions and in doing research online, I find many conflicting answers. I know we have to wait for the "scan" test results too, but wanted to know if anyone has answers in general. I can't recall what the biopsy ratings were, but I believe they were at the higher end of the scale. THANKS!

tony04williams responded:
Hi i understand your concern regarding your Dad, my story was i was diagnosed in Feb this year with PC my PSA was 9 and after a biopsy my Gleason score was 7 so i decided to have the prostate remove by laparoscopic surgery 15 weeks ago. I entered hospital on Thursday had surgery at 9am and left hospital on Monday so far so good i feel well i have no incontinence or any other problems so take heart it is not the end it is only the start of beating this disease. I wish you and your family only the best Regards Tony.

An_216439 responded:
Biopsy of the prostate can't determine if cancer has spread and the bone scan/cat scan are routinely done prior to local treatment for that purpose. Since someone has already decided that radiation will be necessary there may be more definitive information related to your father's specific case that has not been shared with you (or in your post). In any case, it's generally a good idea to take the biopsy and scan results to an oncologist (or another one) for a second opinion on treatment. Good luck.

bertrojo1 responded:
I have a PSA of 107 with Gleason of 9. I had a bone scan showing two possible points of metasis. It lights up the points with radioactive material. Recommended by J. Hopkins for Hormonal Therapy as I am 80.. It seems that bone scan is the bottom line. I am going for second opinion but have started treatment. My urination is a mess. Getting up during night . Told that prognosis will be 7 years but I have my doubts.
Good luck

sda007 replied to bertrojo1's response:
UPDATE - Just found out that the catscan revealed cancer in one lymph node, no cancer in spine or anything like that. Today is the bone scan. I just got that brief information. What typically happens after this, when found in lymph node? UGH!!! :-)

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center