Skip to content
Minuscule PSA rise
Rummy04 posted:
Have just returned from urologist for latest PSA blood test. He said i had a Minuscule psa rise so small nothing to worry about as it is Minuscule.Urologist said come back in 3 months. What do other member think should i worry or trust urologist any feed back welcome.

An_216440 responded:
As an analytical chemist I can tell you that every measurement has a level of confidence attached to it (error of the method or standard deviation of replicate measurements). Oddly, PSA measurements never are provided as 1.0 plus/minus 0.1,, e.g., but just as a single result and sometimes as a limit of quantitation or limit of detection (less than 0.1, e.g.). PSA measurements also do vary over time/ from lab ot lab, etc. and when you say "miniscule" rise, there is no way to know if it is essentially unchanged or a normal variation. Also, if you are seeing a urologist for PSA measurements, does that mean you have already had some treatment for a prostate condition? For any expert on the subject to provide helpful advice, I would think he/she would need a few more details. For what it's worth, as a PC cancer/treatment survivor (so far) I don't think "worry" should be one of the options.

tony04williams replied to An_216440's response:
I had my prostate removed in 15 April 2010 by Laparoscopic surgery so it is about 15 weeks ago. On my first PSA test which was 4 weeks after surgery the urologist said he was not interested in it as it was to soon after surgery and come back in 5 weeks time this time he said my PSA WAS VITUALLY UNDETECTABE BUT MY CANCER WAS ON THE MARGIN AND HE WANTED TO KEEP A EYE ON ME, So i came back again in 4 weeks later this time he read the pathology report that said the cancer was confined and this time my PSA was minuscule difference so minuscule he was not worried by it, but i am i should have asked more questions but i get so nervous i cant think.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center