Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
mri?
miguelito51 posted:
have a 6 gleason, 2 biopsy samples found to be malignant...1%...suggested that i get an mri done. don't want to go with a 1.5. mayo has a 3, but i hear in san franciso, there is a 7 tesla. will 3 do the trick? san fran is journey, although it would be free. what do ya think?

DUKE MEDICINE
Judd W Moul, MD responded:
With such low risk disease, I do not see a reason to do an MRI using any equipment! In your case, the chance of spread outside the prostate is so low that any MRI test is unlikely to add any meaningful information to allow you or your doctors to manage your case any better. Even the latest generation MRI equipment is unproven to help cases such as yours. If you are going to enroll in a clinical trial to further test the effectiveness of MRI, this is another story and I would support that. But, if this is just being done as part of routine practice, I think it is a waste of time and waste of health care resources. One needs to always ask how the test results are going to help you and your doctors any differently that if the test had not been done. In summary, I do not feel the MRI is indicated.
Best wishes,
Judd W. Moul, MD

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center