Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
postrate cancer-seminal vesicles
anooppaul posted:
Hi Experts,

My father is suffering from seminal vesicles cancer, initially we thought its a postrate cancer, but his PSA level was normal,now doctors are saying to remove his bladder, seminal vesicles, and postrate

please advice me

Thanks in Advance
Anoop

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anoop,

I read your post a while ago and unfortunately, I don't have experience with this and could not find information. I do, however, want to say that I hope your father does well with whatever treatment that he and the family decide is best. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on how things are going. (((hugs)))

Fairwind responded:
How old is your father? How was this cancer detected?

DUKE MEDICINE
Judd W Moul, MD responded:
I am sorry to hear about your father with seminal vesicle cancer. The seminal vesicles are attached to the prostate gland and are located behind the bladder between the backside of the bladder and the front side of the rectum in the deep pelvis area. Sometimes doctors can feel, or palpate, the lower part of the seminal vesicles where they attach to the prostate gland. A man has two seminal vesicles-one on the right and one on the left. The normal function of the seminal vesicles is to produce about 70% of the semen. They also store the semen between ejaculations. If a man does not ejaculate too often, the seminal vesicles can get full of semen and a man may experience fullness and discomfort, commonly called, "blue balls". Anyway, primary cancer of the seminal vesicles is rare and much, much less common than prostate or bladder cancer. In the vast majority of cases, seminal vesicle cancer is actually prostate cancer that has spread from the prostate to the seminal vesicles. However, if he really does have primary seminal vesicle cancer, then the standard of care would likely be surgery to remove the bladder, seminal vesicles and prostate gland. You may want to have the pathology from the biopsy re-reviewed by a reference lab, such as Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, Duke, or the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology to be sure this is primary seminal vesicle cancer. Also, if this is true primary seminal vesicle cancer, then a multi-disciplinary opinion from urology, medical oncology and radiation oncology may be indicated.

CandleJ replied to Judd W Moul, MD's response:
My husband had his prostate taken out last week and the pathology report from that surgery shows that there is some cancer in his right seminal vesicle, where the prostate cancer was the worst. We have not had a chance to talk with the doctor much but could this mean the cancer is likely to spread? I noticed in the discussion above the possibility of losing the bladder, is this a possibility or can it be taken care of with radiation.

Fairwind replied to CandleJ's response:
Much depends on his Gleason score reported on the post-surgery pathology and his PSA number at diagnosis..As long as the surgical margins were negative, the surgery alone might still be successful..If there was a positive margin, (cancer beyond the surgical margin) then radiation is almost a certainty..If his Gleason score was 8 or higher then radiation and hormone therapy combined is almost a certainty...If you have not read Dr. Walsh's book "guide to surviving prostate cancer" now would be a good time to do so...Good Luck!

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center