Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
diagnosed with prostate cancer
Terry1999 posted:
My name is Terry, I am 62 years old and have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I am so confused and it has been a long journey for me.
I am scheduled for prostate removal in November, the question I have is, my biopsy showed 1 of 12 cancerous at a PSH level 4.0, I have had not treatment and the last two blood test have shown my PSH levels have dropped to 2.0? I am confused as to why my levels would drop if I have had no treatment, needless to say I am scared to death. Any ideas on this?
Thanks to you all.

bogie11 responded:
I can't say why your PSA dropped, but I urge you to consider all of your options before you undergo surgery. I did enough research to find proton therapy, which I chose, and I'm very happy with the results - no pain, no catheter, no incontinence, and no impotence. There are several centers in the U.S. that offer that treatment.

An_216466 responded:
What was the Gleason score? I'm no medical expert but unless there is some other compelling reason for surgery next month (positive finding on DRE, high gleason score, etc.), I'd think about getting a second opinion - even asking for another pathologist's reading of the biopsy. Your urologist may be right, but it sounds like there's time to find out what all your options are and make an informed decision. Good luck Terry.

DUKE MEDICINE
Judd W Moul, MD responded:
Dear Terry,
Sorry for my delay in a response. Best wishes for successful surgery. In general, if you are a healthy 62 year old man with a projected long life-expectancy, then surgery is a very appropriate treatment choice. As far as the PSA tests, it is very common for the PSA to bounce around some and to even drop over the short term. Results from studies show that in normal volunteers who had a PSA taken for ten days in a row, the variation in day-to-day levels was about 30%. In your case, over a few months, it is common to see the PSA move around a bit. However, these short term drops do not mean the cancer is going away or getting better or worse. Trends in PSA over longer periods of time, such as at intervals of measurements every 3-6 months, are important, but we do not take much stock in values over shorter durations of time.
Best wishes for your treatment success and a road to full recovery.
Judd Moul, MD

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center