Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prostate Cancer
An_216476 posted:
My husband, age 69, was diagnosed w/prostate ca in 2003 w/ a Gleason of 6 (3+3) and PSA of 7. He chose watchful waiting at the time. PSAs have fluctuated since from 5.1 to 9. Sept. of 2010 his biopsy revealed a Gleason of 9, PSA of 7.5. A bone scan was also done. The physicians feel his cancer is at Stage III. We don't know about T3a or T3b. Because of his heart history surgery is not an option. Radiation and hormone therapy seem to be his best option. My question is whether the lower PSAs he has had is indicative of the more serious small cell prostate cancer. He also has a history of renal cell carcinoma and a more recent colonscopy results containing 5 polyps that were removed. His urinary sypmtoms are increasing (more frequent all day and at night), more pain in back and hips and severe weakness and fatigue that comes about out of nowhere and not necessarily when he has been exerting himself. I'm really concerned about this. He is slightly anemic in a recent lab test. He hasn't wanted to try any treatment and is postponing anything right now. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Fairwind responded:
In my layman's opinion, watchful waiting can be a high-risk strategy as you have discovered..Gleason 6 has morphed into a Gleason 9 and your husband is in a fight for his life....The PSA of 7.5 means you still have a good chance to beat this but doing nothing is not an option..The radiation and hormones is probably his best bet at this point...But he HAS TO DO IT!

Will it work?? Who knows?? But we know for sure what happens to G-9 patients who do nothing...JMHO....

Your husband might be a candidate for the combination treatment of seeds and IGRT which has shown great promise in high-risk patients...You should ask about that...With Gleason 9, you hit it as hard as you can with everything you have...

bogie11 responded:
Please also investigate proton therapy before making any decision. There is plenty of info on the internet.

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center