Skip to content
Can you have surgery after radiation if the cancer reappears later?
miguelito51 posted:
I've heard that because of scar tissue concerns, that surgery after radiation is not an option. Is this true? This will really help me with my decision. psa 2.2 gleason 7...need to make a move now. everyone tries to talk you into their particular treatment, dependent on his/her practice, but I know several people my age(I'm 51) that have had the external beam radiation and they've been cancer free for 5 or 6 years now. I would certainly appreciate any input. Thank you.

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi miguelito, - Although it is possible to have surgery after Radiation, it is often not successful and, more often, the morbidity (side effects) are statistically much more likely and with increased severity.

Most Urologic Surgeons prefer not to even attempt this extremely challenging surgery, because of the statistically discouraging results. Therefore, it is often considered an impractical option to consider, in your deliberations, as to primary treatment.

At 51 y/o, you need to be concerned about much longer time frames than 5 to 6 years, since your life expectancy is over another 27 years. Treatment for Early-Stage Prostate Cancer (PCa) generally does well for 5 years, regardless of the approach that is used, but 15 year time-frames show a wider diversion in treatment results.

Your clinical Gleason Score of 7 needs to be clarified as consisting of G-Grades (3 4)=7 or (4 3)=7, as this is important in considering your treatment options. You may wish to have a 2nd opinion on your Biopsy Slides, performed by a recognized expert in examining PCa tissue, such as Dr. Epstein at Johns Hopkins or Dr. Bostwick of Bostwick Laboratories. There are also others.

Good luck in your decision making. - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center