Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HOPEFULL724
HOPEFULL724 posted:
HI MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PROSTATE CANCER AS OF 10/14/2010. HE IS 61 YEARS OLD
HIS PSA IS 5.71 AND GLEASON IS 6. HIS UROLOGIST TOOK SIX SAMPLES AND 4 CAME BACK POSITVE.,HE ADVISED THIS IS STAGE I ,DRE WAS NORMAL CT AND BONE SCAN NORMAL. WE
HAVE SINCE EXPLORED DIFFERENT TYPES OF TREATMENT AS HIS URO INFORMED HIM HE IS OPEN TO ALL FORMS OF TREATMENT. WE HAVE SINCE INTERVIEWED TWO SURGEONS FOR ROBOTIC PROSTECOEMY, ONE OF THE SURGEONS IS AFFILATED WITH CORNELL WEILL AND HAS PERFORMED 3500 OF THESE SURGERIES. HE IS SCHEDULED FOR SURGERY DEC 15,2010. . HOWEVER HE IS VERY FEARFUL OF SURGERY AS HE HAS NEVER HAD ANY TYPE . SO NOW HE IS THINKING OF THE BRACHATHERAPY, WHICH I FEEL HAS MORE SIDE EFFECTS AS OPPOSED TO THE ROBOTIC SURGERY,FAMILY AND FRIENDS
ARE ADVISING TO TAKE IT OUT WHICH IS WHAT I THINK
HE IS STILL A YOUNG MAN IF GOD FORBID IT CAME BACK AT LEAST WITH THE SURGERY HE COULD HAVE RADIATION HOWEVER WITH THE SEED INPLANTS IF NEEDED LATER THE SURGERY WOULD BE MUCH MORE DIFFICULT. ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATELY APPRECIATED. P.S WE ARE MEETING WITH THE NURSE PRACTIONER ON TUESDAY FOR PRE OP QUESTION AND INFO TESTING. PLEASE HELP WE ARE CONFUSED!!!!!!!! I WANT THE BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME FOR MY HUSBAND .

bogie11 responded:
Have you investigated proton therapy? I did and chose it and am delighted that I have had no side effects for the last 2 years. And the treatment was a fun experience.

HOPEFULL724 replied to bogie11's response:
HI
NO WE LIVE IN NYC AND DO NOT HAVE ANY PRTON CENTERS HERE AS OF YET.
CERTAINLY GLAD YOU ARE OK AND HAD A GOOD EXPERIENCE. IAM SURE IF MY HUSBAND GETS OVER THIS FEAR HE WILL DO FINE WITH THE SURGERY AND HIS OUTCOME . THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY.
HOPEFULL 724

bogie11 replied to HOPEFULL724's response:
Both Philadelphia and Boston have one, if that's any help.

plsesq responded:
Dear Watchfull:

I do not want to make any recommendations, but here is my experience.
Diagnosed 1 mo before my 63d birthday later found to be Stage 1-C with Gleason 6 w/ capsular penetration likely.
83 Iodine-125 seeds implanted on 9-27-10 after one month on hormone therapy to shrink prostate,
After 60 days the only side effects felt were two or three incidents of extreme muscular fatigue. I have had almost zero change in urinary urgency, but my 60 day Flo-max was extended to another 60 days b/c of problems that uro felt were not related to the cancer or the radiation. No problems with sex or any other of those feared side effects so far but those may still be in my future. So far my subjective experience is that this was too easy.
My oncologist has over 4000 implants experience and has developed his own method of targeting.
As a comparison, I have three friends who had radical surgery - one 15 years ago, one about 8 years ago, and one last spring. They were about the same age as your husband when diagnosed. All reported problems but all are getting along well as far as I can see. Another friend had cryosurgery done 1 day after I had my implants. His first month was terrible - he had to have catheters installed 4 times, but prognosis is good. The thing that my cryo friend and I will have to endure is not knowing absolutely that we are cured and if the cancer comes back, we have limited procedures to fall back on. However, we are both reasonably certain that our 10 year prognosis is good.
It is a tough choice I know, but my thoughts are make your choice, get the best doctor you can and don't look back. All my best.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center