Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Radiation Safety after Prostate Brachytherapy Seed Implant
An_216491 posted:

[br>My husband recently underwent Brachytherapy in November 2010. I believe he had 93 seeds implanted in his prostate. We are planning a trip, one month after the procedure, to visit my son, daughter-in-law and infant grandson who is three months old. My husband was instructed on radiation safety by his physician - no children to sit on his lap and avoid close contact with pregnant women; however, we are still very concerned about staying in the same house with our grandson for over a week and understandably, my son and daughter-in-law are concerned for his safety. [br>Can you tell me if there is any risk to my grandson, short term or long term, with my husband being in the same house for over a week and in the same room for hours each day as the baby? How far away should he be from the baby? Can he touch him at all? Should precautions be taken with regard to areas where my husband sits, sleeps, etc.? Have there been extensive studies regarding exposure of the radiation from this procedure to children and pregnant women or are there still unknowns as far as the safety of it?

bogie11 responded:
I'm no expert. If your physician is a radiation oncologist I would believe his instructions. I can't imagine that just being in the same house or sitting on the same furniture at a different time would be risky. Just my opinion.

paddyh01 responded:
Hi,

I had a seed implant in May 2010. I had 102 seeds. My physician at the Chicago Prostrate Cancer Center told me that small children or animals should not sit on my lap for at least 6 months (the 1/2 life of the radiation from the seeds). He also said that exposure was no more dangerous at close distances than having an x-ray taken BUT that small children and animals should not be exposed to frequent x-rays. He said that sitting next to a child or small animals was of little danger to them. The radiation is centered in the groin area and can only travel a few inches out of the body. There should be no threat to you, your grandson or anyone near your husband and he can certainly can be in the same house and touch his grandson. I just discussed your question with him today and he agreed with what I have just written.

Merry Christmas to you all!!

Regards, Pat

susand422 replied to paddyh01's response:
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question and for speaking with your physician. I will share this information with my husband and our son and his wife. We are both very excited about seeing our grandson.

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

susand422 replied to bogie11's response:
Thank you for your response. He will speak with his physician again to be sure.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center