Skip to content
Severe pain on a monthly basis.
mwb12285 posted:
Hello everyone, I'm 25 years-old, and am concerned about a pain I experience on monthly basis. I'm not sure if it's related at all to my prostate. As a matter of fact, the pain is so hard to describe, that I might have trouble explaining it. I would describe the pain almost as "someone shoving something up my anal cavity." A little embarrassing I know, but that's as close as I can get to describing this pain. It usually hurts deep within my rectum, more so than the exterior. 9 times out of 10, this pain begins in my sleep, until the pain becomes so intense that I wake up. I always end up going to the restroom in hopes that it will somehow relieve my pain, but nothing ever happens, I usually just sit on the toilet, writhing in pain until the pain subsides.

I've experienced this pain for sometime now, as early as my teenage years. It only happens once a month, and the pain never gets worse, it's always the same, so I've never been too concerned about it, but as I get holder I just can't help wonder what it is.

The whole subject matter of my symptoms is quite embarrassing, and I have trouble talking to anyone else about it in my daily life, so I'm hoping maybe you fine people here could possibly help me out.

Thank you in advance for your help.

cagey8828 responded:
It sounds like you are experiencing muscle spasm in the anal/rectal region. One syndrome is levator ani syndrome
in which the mentioned muscle is inflamed and in spasm.
I would recommend that you read about rectal pain and
this syndrome and see which of the various descriptions
best fit with your symptoms. I would then try some of the
recommended therapies. The fact that you have had it for many years makes it unlikely that there is a serious cause.

Helpful Tips

Using Social Fundraising
The costs of treating and surviving prostate cancer can be staggering, and insurance doesn't cover everything. Using social fundraising ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center