Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diagnosed
oldfrank posted:
I am 84 and have been diagnosed with prostrate cancer. They say it is slow growing so I feel like doing nothing. Any thoughts?

bogie11 responded:
I was diagnosed when I was 82 and decided to watch and wait. However, I heard about proton therapy and that it had minmal to zero side effects, investigated it thoroughly, and decided that it was for me. I'm so happy that I did two years ago. It was a great experience for me and my wife, cost me nothing other that a rental place for two months, and I've had no side effects at all. No pain was involved, and I could do anything I wished during and after treatment. I went to the University of Florida Proton Therapy Institute, and they were wonderful.

Fairwind replied to bogie11's response:
But did it cure your cancer??

oldfrank replied to bogie11's response:
Thanks, bogie. I was feeling pretty depressed. I live near Chicago so I'm betting there is something like that near.

bogie11 replied to Fairwind's response:
My PSA has been going down every 3 month check since. The latest was 0.5, and that is the postive indication that the treatment was a success.

bogie11 replied to oldfrank's response:
I believe that there is one in Indiana. I'm sure that you can find it on google.

MCPORET1993 responded:
I am convinced that either proton therapy or IMRT is the way to go. I am 66yo and was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. My urologist told me that a radical protatectomy was the solution. After research which included talking to folks who have experienced surgery and proton therapy I have decided that I will go the Florida for the proton procedure. The folks who chose protons pretty much echoed bogie's sentiment. At your age, maybe watchful waiting is prudent depending upon your other health issues. Only you can make that determination.

An_216497 responded:
Depends on the results of your biopsy at diagnosis, other health problems and what they mean by "slow growing". What's "best" for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Hope you get more than one professional opinion (medical oncologist specializing in PC) before deciding on a course of action. Good luck Frank.

Overtreatment of men with low-risk prostate cancer and significant comorbidity.
Daskivich TJ , Chamie K , Kwan L , Labo J , Palvolgyi R , Dash A , Greenfield S , Litwin MS .
Department of Urology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California.
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Men with low-risk prostate cancer and significant comorbidity are susceptible to overtreatment. The authors sought to compare the impact of comorbidity and age on treatment choice in men with low-risk disease.
METHODS: The authors sampled 509 men with low-risk prostate cancer diagnosed at the Greater Los Angeles and Long Beach Veterans Affairs Medical Centers between 1997 and 2004. Rates of aggressive treatment (radical prostatectomy, radiation therapy, brachytherapy) were determined among men of different ages and with different Charlson comorbidity scores. Multivariate modeling was used to determine the influence of both variables in predicting nonaggressive treatment, and Cox proportional hazards analysis was used to compare the risk of other-cause mortality among groups according to Charlson score and age.
RESULTS: Men with Charlson scores "2653 were treated aggressively in 54% of cases (30 of 56 men), while men aged >75 years at diagnosis were treated aggressively in 16% of cases (7 of 44 men). In multivariate analysis, age >75 years was a much stronger predictor of nonaggressive treatment (relative risk, 12.0; 95% confidence interval [CI>, 5.4-28.3) than a Charlson score "2653 (relative risk, 2.0; 95% CI, 1.3-2.9). In survival analysis, men with Charlson scores "2653 had an 8-fold increased risk (hazard ratio, 8.4; 95% CI, 4.2-16.6) and 70% probability of other-cause mortality at 10 years, whereas age >75 years was associated with a 5-fold increased risk (hazard ratio, 4.9; 95%CI, 1.7-13.8) and a 24% probability of other-cause mortality.
CONCLUSIONS: Men with significant comorbidity often were overtreated for low-risk prostate cancer. Like advanced age, significant comorbidity should be a strong relative contraindication to aggressive treatment in men with low-risk disease. Cancer 2010. © 2010 American Cancer Society.
PMID: 21117214 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher>

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center