Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
after operation
mailman1414 posted:
I'm 49 had the prostate removed 5 years ago....All PSA were 0 until the last one was a .03 and the PSA I had 2 days ago stayed a .03.Can anyone answert why the spike in the PSA and is this worriesome? thanks

bogie11 responded:
I think that any reading less than 0.1 is essentially zero.

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi mailman,- You have nothing to worry about from readings .03 ng/ml. These reflect readings performed with a Hyper-Sensitive assay material which is considered reliably sensitive to the hundredths of a Nanogram (which itself represents 1 Billionth of a Gram).

The long-standing Clinical definition of "undetectable" PSA is anything LESS THAN 1/10th of (<0.1 ng/ml) of a Nanogram. Your 0.03 ng/ml is SUBSTANTIALLY below this traditional Standard.

Although you indicate that your previous PSA readings have been "0", I suspect this is probably not true if the Hyper-sensitive assay has been used in the past. More likely, your previous PSA readings were done with the Standard PSA assay which would have been reported as LESS THAN 0.1 ng/ml, its stated reliability level (<0.1).

In casual verbal communication, medical personnel often cite such results as 0, since they actually reflect an "unmeasurable" result, or "undetectable".

At any rate, it is nothing to be concerned about as long as monitoring PSA tests continue to be reported at any level LESS THAN 0.1 ng/ml (anything from 0.000 thru .09 ng/ml). Congratulations! - John@newPCa,org (aka) az4peaks

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Essiac Tea
In June, 2006 I was DX'd with PCa and formulated my own diet, opting to go the Watchful Waiting route. The diet was replete with herbs, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center