Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MRI scan- Able to check for cancerous cells?
rwpeti posted:
Over 15 years my PSA has gone from 1.4 to 8.7. It's been a gradual increase with some years up and some down.
Like this: 3.5, 4.1, 3.7, 4.6, 4.1, etc with last few 6.7, 7.6, 7.1, 8.3, 8.7

I've had 2 biopsies- both negative.

I'm having a MRI next Tuesday the 8th of Feb. Does the MRI scan the entire prostate and if so, is it able to spot any cancerous cells?

I've read that MRI with a newer machine does find bad cells.

Anyone know what name of the MRI machine is?

All comments appreciated.

Thanks, Rwp

Fairwind responded:
Sometimes, a Tesla-3 (huge) machine with a rectal probe can detect advanced PC....But even that technique can not detect PC in it's beginning stages..

There IS a simple urine test, "The Four Gene Signature Urine Test" that CAN detect early PC with 97% accuracy but the two labs that have been licensed to perform this test are just sitting on it..(Abbott Labs and Quest labs)...Health Discovery Corp invented this test and got FDA approval two years ago..

These labs need to be pressured into getting this test to market..

An_216505 replied to Fairwind's response:
High-field-strength MRI is helpful in staging PC, particularly in showing extracapsular extension and seminal vesicle involvement but even 3T MRI with an endorectal coil isn't meant for finding cells. (I had erMRI with a 3T machine post- op and I think its best use is to diagnose claustrophobia).

As for the simple urine test suggested by Fairwind, Health Discovery only entered a licensing agreement with Abbott and Quest for future sales including payments JD upon achieving mileposts in development of the test. According to Health Discovery, I believe Phase I and II clinical trials were scheduled to end at the end of 2010. I don't see any record of FDA approval yet(they like to wait for the data). Both Abbott and Quest stand to make a lot of money from the test - I doubt they need to be pressured to start collected.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center