Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Use of testosterone patches if testosterone levels remain low after blockade
cagey8828 posted:
I have received combined androgen blockade for PSA only recurrence
post laparoscopic prostatectomy and subsequent radiation therapy
for early recurrence of a tumor with rapid doubling time. PSA fell quickly and remained less than 0.1 for 15 months. I have now chosen to go on intermittent therapy: however testosterone levels have not risen after the long period of supression. Since we are trying to get the levels to increase in order to diminish side effects, would one consider use of testosterone patches with close PSA monitoring should levels not increase.

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi Cagey, _ I think that I can safely say that MOST, if not all, mainstream PCa experts would NOT support the use of Testosterone supplementation in a PCa patient that is on intermittent HT. Especially following both surgical and radiological failure.

You most likely have systemic disease and, if so, such action would be judged to be a counter-active, detrimental measure in attempts to CONTROL the ever present disease in such systemic cases, which are treated as a chronic disease.

However, I am a layman, NOT a physician and you may wish to consult a Medical Oncologist, if you are not already under ones care. Good luck! - John@newPCa.org -

cagey8828 replied to az4peaks2's response:
John,
Thanks for your input. Intermittent therapy allows the testosterone to increase naturally as the blockade is removed.
Since the time to increase is variable and may be delayed, it does not seem unreasonable to provide external testo if it does not increase. As with all interventions, the testo and PSA levels would be monitored and blockade would be reinitiated at a predetermined level. kg

az4peaks2 replied to cagey8828's response:
Hi Cagey, - I fully understand how IHT works but the natural return of testosterone is entirely different than return by supplementation. Sorry I couldn't, in good conscience, provide the support you were obviously seeking, for a decision you already favored.

I stand by my statement as to what I believe the majority of experts would tend to suggest but, regardless, the decision is properly yours, since you are the patient. Good luck! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center