Skip to content
Prostate Cancer
An_216516 posted:
My grandfather may have prostate cancer. He was told today that he could not have it removed if it is...is there an age limit when someone is too old to have cancer removed? He is in his 70s.

billh99 responded:
There is no fixed upper age limit.

But but it does depend on his overall health and how resilient he is.

But there are also radiation treatments of several types.
And cyro surgery, but that is not commonly available.

And an ultrasound treatment, but is an investigative treatment (in the US) and only available at a few locations.

Also, if the biopsy shows a low grade and not very extensive prostate cancer he might have Active Surveillance. Typically PC is very slow growing so with AS it is monitor can no treatment is done unless it appears that the growth become extensive.

bogie11 responded:
My urologist told me that he does not do surgery for patients over 70. I was diagnosed at 82 and chose proton therapy at 84, and it was a most pleasant experience with no side effects. That was 2 yrs ago, and I'm very happy that it was my choice, as were many, many others to whom I've spoken. I am still quite active.

Helpful Tips

EXPERINCE WITH CYBERKNIFE FOR PROSTATE CANCER TREATMENT
I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER DETAILS TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE STUDYING THE TREATMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR PROSTATE CANCER. I HAVE ALMOST A ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center