Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is low Testosterone a sign of Prostate Cancer?
jereece1 posted:
About 6 months ago I began feeling very tired and weak...all the time. I am even tired when I wake up. I also have a constant ringing in my head and at times feel light headed.

I went to my doctor did some blood work including Testosterone. Bloodwork was normal except my T was very low (214). He stared me on Androgel. I have used this for about 3 months. He has not run a T test again so I don't know if my levels are back in the normal range or not. Androgel has helped a little but not much.

Then I went to a sleep doctor and had 2 sleep studies performed. The result showed that I do have sleep apnea. I stopped breathing every 3 minutes and my blood oxygen dropped to 72% during the night. The doctor said this could cause low Testosterone. I started using a CPAP machine a couple weeks ago but that has not helped me feel any better.

I recently read that prostate cancer needs Testosterone to grow. So now I am wondering if it's possible that my Testosterone is going low do to prostate cancer using it up?

I am a 52 year old male.

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi Jereece, - No your low testosterone is not likely to be caused by PCa "using it up". Like most everything that has to do with PCa, the Study results are mixed on the subject of PSA and its effects in asymptomatic men.

It does appear to me, that there does seem to be a growing perception that men with very low testosterone (Hypogonadal men), tend to have a greater propensity to acquire Prostate Cancer (PCa) than do men with "normal" levels, or even those with higher levels.

This challenges the more traditional hypothesis that High PSA is a negative factor in weighing men's susceptibility for acquiring PCa.

You can see a slide presentation here:

http://www.massmed.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home6&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=30351

Hope this helps! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center