Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Gas problem during radiation treatment of PC
triley53 posted:
My radiation oncologist has given me guidelines to follow for diahrea, but are there preferable foods that don't produce flatulence? Gas is such a delay during treatment. Are there certain foods I should eat more of that don't produce gas and certain foods I should avoid?

ncobjim responded:
Finished 38 IMRT treatments Sep. 2010.
My radiation oncologist had me on Benifiber & GAS-X.
I had no problems at all with anything. No different foods or anything.

DUKE MEDICINE
Judd W Moul, MD responded:
As a urologist, this is not my area of expertise. However, I asked a radiation oncologist at my hospital to help me provide you an answer: Here is what was sent to me about this question:

2) I do not ask my patients to change their diet during radiation unless they develop diarrhea (which is very unusual with modern methods).

3) If pressed then a low residue diet and imodium will generally suffice.

4) I recommend "asking their own doctor" as all of us have our own practices (which are frequently not evidence-based).

As an aside, I wonder if "Beano" might be of help.

Best of luck.

Dr. Moul

Galileo1962 replied to Judd W Moul, MD's response:
Dr. Moul mentioned a low-residue diet. That did indeed help me at the end of my radiation treatments.
I tried soluble fiber tablets at that time (Benefiber) and they actually made things worse.
A little experimentation should help you figure out what helps and what doesn't. I was also having proctitis, which gave me painful bowel movements. The low-residue diet helped with that somewhat as well, but Proctofoam, a prescription topical steroid/analgesic was fantastic for proctitis.

In time, things should resolve on their own. However, even now (4 years later) I have some excessive bloating and flatulence when I eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Vacuum Pump
Radical prostate surgery 7 years ago. Now 67. Have used the injection with success. Best overall is the manual vacuum pump that I currently ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center