Skip to content
Problems at airport - Radiation levels detected
buddycage posted:
I had Brachytherapy 7 months ago, and everytime I travel I get detained by US customs as they detect high levels of radiation, my doctors says this is not possible, the half life is 60 days, why is this happening, is it possible they made a mistake and put the wrong seeds in my prostate, has anyone else had this problem.

Fairwind responded:
It will take about a year, a year and a half before your radiation levels get low enough so the detectors will ignore you. Like, you might be carrying material for a "dirty bomb"....

buddycage replied to Fairwind's response:
thks for your answer, It is strange my doctor feels after 60 days the customs people would not be able to detect.

Fairwind replied to buddycage's response:
They use very sensitive equipment..it will take 6 half-lifes before they ignore you...

RayCap replied to Fairwind's response:
Actually it will take at least 10 half-lives for it get to very low level and even at that their instruments are sensitive enough to possibly pick that up.

bcfisher responded:
It has been 2 months since my seed implants. I've flown to asia and a couple of domestic flights. I preempt the problem by handing TSA a letter from the Oncologist. No problems.

bonix replied to Fairwind's response:
This happened to me once during international flight

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center