Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Radiation therapy concurrent with or after hormone therapy by injection?
middleD posted:
My father has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer (I don't have all his results but know 4 out of 12 tissue samples were positive; one with Gleason 8 and three with Gleason 9). He is 79 years old so his urologist is recommending hormone injections followed by radiation.

The initial conversation with his doctor seemed to indicate they would give two injections, three months apart and then begin radiation therapy. He has a follow up later this week and will most likely get his first injection but we are researching the different radiation treatments.

My questions are regarding delaying the radiation treatment.

Is that the routine protocol or is it sometimes done concurrently?

Does it matter which type of therapy (IMRT, tomotherapy, high-dose brachytherapy, etc) as far as whether it's begun immediately or 3-6 mos after beginning hormone therapy?

It just seems to me with cancer you want to "attack" it from every angle as soon as possible...

Thank you.

bogie11 responded:
I was 84 when I did some research and decided that proton therapy was superior to other types of radiation, and I'm so glad that I did, because ther was no pain involved and no side effects. The experience was great, and my wife and I formed new friendships which are lasting.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center