Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
upcoming biopsy
ttwood52 posted:
Brief history, age 59, Father had BPH + PC at age 83.
Last year PSA 3.6. March this year had urinary problems - dribbling, not complete emptying, new PSA 6.4 but didn't know prior to testing to abstain from ejaculating - day before test ejaculated 3x's.
DRE showed enlarged soft prostate.
Placed on Cipro 500mg/2x/day for 14 days.
New PSA + PSA Free results - PSA down to 5.2, PSA Free 15%.
Bladder flow sonogram test showed enlarge prostate, no noticeable lesions.
Visit yesterday with urologist - DRE enlarged prostate soft in texture with a possible slight variance was noted on right lobe. I asked about the PCA test and Dr didn't feel it was accurate. Now scheduled for biopsy 6/10.

My question is - is this jumping the boat? Are there other ways to test for possible prostate cancer other than a biopsy, or does this sound like the next logical step based upon the information I've submitted.

One last comment I had an MRI yesterday which indicates severe disc degeneration in lumbar spine along with some advanced osteoarthritis also. With possible nerve impingement in the pelvic area could this be affecting my prostate & PSA levels?

Thanks - Dale

chicagoburb responded:
I am not a doctor so I can't comment on medical tests. although 5.2 PSA isn't that bad, mine is 5.4. It's just a number, what matters is the escalation of that number. For example, say your PSA is 5.2 and it stays there. No problem. But if it suddenly goes to 10, then there is cause for concern. And any enlargement of prostate seems to create havoc w PSA result.
But do not be apprehensive about the biopsy. It's a non event, believe me. I have had 4, 3 about 10 or 12 years ago and then one just recently following a green light procedure to take down the size of my prostate. Believe me when I tell you that you will laugh at any anxiety you may have. The biopsy is the gold standard in determining cancer so have it done.

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi Dale, - Well it is certainly easy to get another PSA test for verification. There is only one widely accepted method for diagnosing Prostate Cancer (PCa) and that is for a Pathologist to detect malignant cells under the microscope. For this he/she needs tissue samples and they are most often obtained by Biopsy.

There are other "indicators" that can point to, or away, from the need for a biopsy, but they are not able to determine the necessity (or lack of) with certainty. One is the Free PSA blood test, which you indicate was 15%. Clinical Studies have shown a substantially increased presence of PCa in patients having single digit Free PSA results (40-50%), while those with Free PSA of 25% or higher are more at risk of having BPH (Benign Prostate Hyperplasia) than PCa (10-15%).

This leaves those between 10-25% F-PSA results as being in a grey area, and with final judgment based on a combination of factors, including F-PSA, as considerations in whether to do a Biopsy or not.

To answer your question about your osteoarthritis of the back affecting PSA results, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that any direct connection can be made. Good luck! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

chuckishere replied to az4peaks2's response:
Is there any further news on a Pcancer blood test called "proteomic profile"? Dr. Mark S. Litwin, UCLA wrote about it in a WebMD story Oct. 15, 2002. It suggested that it might avoid a prostate biopsy. Tks, Chuck

az4peaks2 replied to chuckishere's response:
Hi Chuck, - To date there is only ONE widely accepted way to diagnose Prostate Cancer (PCa) and that is by Biopsy. All others are presently "indicators", that when coupled with other clinical data may help determine whether a Biopsy is recommended or not.

There is NOTHING that is widely accepted as replacing the Pathologist examining Prostate tissue under the microscope, for purpose of diagnosis. - Good luck! John@newPCa.org

jameshodge responded:
Try taking a natural nutrition supplement like Super Beta prostate and see if you feel any different. Believe me, Super beta prostate is not a scam . I have been taking it for a year now and it works great with no side effects. My prostate is healthy and pianless. Consult your doctor and try it out.

alston2853 replied to chicagoburb's response:
I wish I could believe you. Just read a report that said:

Although many urologists continued to believe that prostate biopsy was painless, up to 96% of patients disagreed. In one study, 1 in 5 patients said that they would refuse to undergo the procedure again without anesthesia.[a>[2>

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/459599-overview

Perhaps you are in the lucky 4%?

bill6935 replied to alston2853's response:
I also found it slightly painful and had soarness in my rectum for a week

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center