Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
mjhud
mjhud posted:
thinking about cryotherapy for prostrate, gleason score 6, low grade.
any thoughts?

bogie11 responded:
I investigated all of the options and chose proton therapy as the best with minimal to zero side effects. More than 2 yes later I'm very happy with the result, and my wife and I had a great time during the treatment.

mjhud replied to bogie11's response:
problem is that this therapy is not available in my area.

bogie11 replied to mjhud's response:
We had what they called a radiation vacation. We spent two months in Jacksonville and rented a place not far from the center. My insurance paid the entire cost of treatment, and our only expense was the rent and the gas to get there and back.

DUKE MEDICINE
Judd W Moul, MD responded:
Prostate cryotherapy is an accepted treatment for localized prostate cancer (www.auanet.org/resources.cfm?ID=458 ). The standard approach has been whole gland cryotherapy where the entire prostate gland is frozen. However, this whole gland approach is frought with a high risk of sexual impotence because the ice ball spreads to the outer edge of the prostate and freezes the neurovascular bundles that control a man's ability to achieve an erection. Some centers, such as Duke -where I work, are performing focal cryotherapy. My partner, Dr Thomas Polascik (http://urology.surgery.duke.edu/faculty/details/0217498 ), is the key leader in this area. In general, the patient must have repeated mapping prostate biopsies to better define exactly where the cancer is located. If the patient is confirmed to only have cancer on one side of the prostate gland, then the treatment involves freezing only one half or up to 3/4th of the prostate so as to avoid at least the neurovascular bundle on one side of the prostate opposite where the cancer is. In this way, focal cryotherapy is better able to preserve a man's erectile function. Furthermore, modern cryotherapy has a low risk of causing urinary incontinence. Patients considering cryotherapy should consult with a urologist who is very experienced in cryotherapy.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center