Skip to content
Good news?
bobcare posted:
My husband found out his prostate cancer has metastatic to his bones--he had 10 wks of radiation PSA 27. It's been 6wks since last radiation treatment his PSA has fallen down to a 12 which is good but he's pain is still strong at times. The PSA fallen down is a good sign for him even with the pain still there ?
az4peaks2 responded:
Hi bobcare, - What were you told? If the Prostate Cancer (PCa) has already metastecized to the bone, it is highly unlikely that radiation is going to cure his PCa. This is because his disease is probably systemic, rather than localized, and Radiation is a Local treatment.

Radiation can sometimes reduce (debulk) the primary tumor and in some cases even "spot treat" a specific metastatic lesion, but more often is used for "palliative" treatment (to relieve pain or other symptoms. Hormone Therapy (HT) is often instituted to try to "control" the Cancer's spread and reduce the rate of growth.

HT is usually highly effective for WIDELY varying time periods but, EVENTUALLY, it tends to become "hormone refractory", and no longer effective. The effective time-frame is usually measured in years rather than months and some men have PROLONGED periods of effectiveness and even temporary periods of remission.

You may wish to investigate the possibility of a consultation and second opinion, with a Medical Oncologist, who specializes in such treatment, preferably one that has PCa experience.

Please note that, although I consider myself a well informed layman, I am NOT a physician and the above should be discussed with your professional advisors. Good luck! - (aka) az4peaks

Helpful Tips

How to get the most out of your prostate cancer consultationExpert
Here are a few tips to get the most out of your prostate cancer surgical or radiation oncology consultation: 1. Have extra copies of all ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center