Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HAD CRYOTHERAPY TWICE PSA IS RISING AGAIN???
CCA9674 posted:
My dad is 75 and has had cryotherapy twice for prostate cancer. He just had his PSA tested and it is up to 7.5 again. They tell him his prostate is "flat". What is going on???

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi CCA9674, - After 2 Cryotherapy treatments and a rising PSA of over 7, I would GUESS that what is meant by "flat", is that the Prostate cells have been architecturally altered by the treatments, so that the Prostate has essentially been destroyed.

There is probably no target left for further localized treatment efforts, which means that the rising PSA is most likely coming from disease that is "systemic", which means it it likely to be circulating in his blood/lymph systems rather than from a localized tumor. IF TRUE, this means that his Prostate Cancer (PCa) can spread to other parts of the body (metastasize), with bones being a favorite target, although it can spread to any other vital organ.

Systemic disease is thought to be incurable so, if applicable, the goal changes from one of attempts to "cure" the PCa, to one of attempting to "control" what has now become a "chronic" disease. Some form of Hormone Therapy (HT) is the usual initial treatment, designed to block the production and reception of testosterone in the body, which is thought to fuel PCa growth.

HT is, usually, quite effective for widely varying time periods, in any individual patient, that are normally measured in years rather than months, so he has a good chance of living out his natural life expectancy, even if my ASSUMPTIONS are correct. There is morbidity (side effects) connected with such treatment, such as possible hot flashes, weight gain and suppressed libido.

Of course, all this is conjecture at this point, with the brief information you have furnished. But it may be worth discussing with the attending Physician who would have the full medical record available and could further clarify his situation. I hope this has helped! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

BobKy replied to az4peaks2's response:
Hello and welcome,

John has given you great information.

I too failed cryotherapy (I was praying for a miracle,with an initial PSA of over 18.) I've been doing intermittent hormone therapy since 1995. What I'm trying to say is that failing cryotherapy is not necessarily an early death sentence.

Hang in there!!

Bob

CCA9674 replied to az4peaks2's response:
Thank you John! My dad just started HT!

CCA9674 replied to BobKy's response:
Thanks Bob! My dad just started hormone therapy! Best of luck to you!

BobKy replied to CCA9674's response:
Good luck to both you and your dad.

Hormone therapy:

"But hormone therapy is not without risks. Some of the more serious side effects include loss of sex drive, impotence, weakened bones (osteoporosis), and heart problems."

http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/guide/treating-advanced-prostate-cancer

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center