Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prostate Cancer-Newly Diagnosed
jnoe501 posted:
I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Age 61 Gleason score 6(3+3) found in one of 12 core samples taken in biopsy; and psa 4.3.

Probably will have the radical prostatectomy. I have three major concerns that I would appreciate some feedback on from those of you who have had the surgery:
1. Would you recommend going to a major medical university (such as Johns Hopkins or Duke Medical Center) for the surgery or having the surgery performed nearby (Charlotte, NC)?
2. I am worried about long-term impotence following surgery. Any advice on what I can expect?
3. How long does the incontinence last?
Thanks

BobKy responded:
Hello jnoe,

Welcome.

I would suggest you look at this thread:

http://forums.webmd.com/3/prostate-cancer-exchange/forum/927?@guest@

All the best,
Bob

jnoe501 replied to BobKy's response:
BobKy:

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your willingness to connect with me and the other folks on this website. Your generosity is very much appreciated.

Jnoe

BillH99 responded:
1. Would you recommend going to a major medical university (such as Johns Hopkins or Duke Medical Center) for the surgery or having the surgery performed nearby (Charlotte, NC)?

This is surgery that is highly dependent on the skill of the surgeon. In general the they talking about the number of surgeries. And IIRC about 150 to get over the learning curve.

That said my surgeon was very young and I was close to being his 150th, but maybe a few shy.

But my urologist said that the surgeon had interned with them and even as an intern he was doing procedures as well as those that had been practicing for 15-20 years.

And after talking to him I felt confident in using him. But I was ready to go to a couple of others in town that had done over 500, if I was not.

2. I am worried about long-term impotence following surgery. Any advice on what I can expect?
3. How long does the incontinence last?

If you click on my name you will find some other threads where I have given more details of my experience. It was very good, but probably much better than average.

But based on reading some of the research and my own experience this should help in recovery.

If you are overweight start losing it. And you want to exercise. Specially aerobics that work the legs.

And start practicing the keekle exercises before the surgery.

And after the surgery you want to keep active. Specially brisk walking.

bogie11 responded:
I suggest that you research all of the alternatives before you decide. I did and chose proton therapy which has minimal to zero side effects. I and many others are very happy with that decision.

jzjohns replied to BillH99's response:
Let me add to BillH99's response as far as the impotence is concerned.

I too opted for surgery 6 years ago and remember having a moderate nocturnal erection while recovering in the hospital so I knew right then & there that the "nerve sparing" part of the procedure had worked. It didn't feel as potent as it did prior to surgery, but it was there nonetheless.

6 yrs later my sexual function is almost as good as it was before surgery if you factor in the added years. One mistake I made though is that I bought a penis pump (inexpensive one) after surgery but waited too long to start using it.

I would recommend getting one right away and using it to exercise the blood flow in and out of your organ while waiting for that area to heal naturally. This way it will keep the tissue in the penis from atrophying & thus greatly increase the chances for a good erectile function recovery. I waited a few weeks after surgery before I realized that a pump would probably help &, as a result, suffered some atrophy of that area. When I did finally start using it, it was only to draw blood in & out as sort of a "physical therapy" exercise & not as a means to maintain an erection for sex as some pump manufacturers suggest or recommend.

Good luck to you.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center