Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
??
Anon_235833 posted:
I am 67 and in good health otherwise, but I was just told that my PSA score was 44 which it seems is very high. I have had no symptoms other than slow and dribbly urine. I have been taking a pill that my doctor prescribed to help me with normal urination and it works very well, but now I am going to be doing a biopsy for prostrate cancer. My question is what kind of life span I can look forward to. Through exercise, diet, and will, what are the possibilities that I could survive into my late 70s or early 80s even?

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi Anon, - It is difficult to address your question before you have the results of your Biopsy. In general, however, if you have Prostate Cancer (PCa), it is quite likely that it won't threaten your mortality for several years. In fact, depending on its Stage, it may even be cureable with appropriate treatment.

Of course, at this point, it is pure speculation as to whether you actually have PCa, in spite of your highly elevated PSA reading, but this should be more clearly defined after you have obtained the results of your Biopsy.

PSA blood tests are NOT Cancer specific and therefore, a Biopsy is necessary to determine the cause of the PSA elevation. Much more should be known soon and until then, just realize that PCa is often a slow growing disease and is usually very treatable, with high and prolonged survival rates.

Once more information is available, your specific situation can be better and more accurately addressed. Good luck! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

mywifealways responded:
Thank you, I will be in touch with you again after I have received the results of my biopsy.

BobKy replied to mywifealways's response:
Hello and welcome,

As John points out, it's difficult to answer your question without the biopsy results.
I too would add words of encouragement;let's hope you are cancer-free.
Have you had previous PSA tests? If so, what are the results?

Good luck,
Bob

mywifealways replied to BobKy's response:
As far as I know I have not.

BobKy replied to mywifealways's response:
OK, thank you for the reply.

It is possible to live a long time,even if you are not cured of PCa, My case may be atypical,but I was diagnosed in 1995 with PCa that had spread into my seminal vesicle and with a PSA of 18 . Cryosurgery did not cure me,so, I've been doing intermittent hormone therapy for all these years.

Bob

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Vacuum Pump
Radical prostate surgery 7 years ago. Now 67. Have used the injection with success. Best overall is the manual vacuum pump that I currently ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center