Skip to content
Ejaculation and PSA readings
David11Roy posted:
Due to a sibling with prostate cancer I have been having annual PSA tests and after 10 years have just gone from 1.6 to 4.5. I have read about ejaculations effecting the results, but in my case I had a proctectomy operation last year following on from a colectomy (both from Colitis not cancer) with an unfortunate consequence of the proctectomy operation, that I no longer release any ejaculate on orgasm. (The surgeon said it might improve over time, so presumable was not aware of any damage during the operation)
Could the loss of or storing of ejaculate work in a similar way to raise the PSA without PC being the cause?

BillH99 responded:
Interesting question.

"Irritation" of the prostate can raise the PSA. And that can include things like getting a DRE, riding a bike, having sex, and inflammation of the prostate.

So unless there is some ongoing pressure/irritation from the operation I would not think that it would cause the PSA to raise.

But I would certainly discuss this with the urologist.

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi David Roy, - Since you apparently still have a Prostate, the rise in your PSA reading could come from any number of causes and could be temporary or more prolonged, depending on its actual origin.

Surgical procedures can vary widely in both scope and severity, depending upon the location and the extent of the specific case being treated, so it is impossible to know why you do no longer experience ejaculation upon orgasm.

To my knowledge, the colectomy and/or proctectomy, by themselves, would not normally affect the production and/or delivery of ejaculate, which are not part of the same excretory system, however it MAY well be that the extent of disease present may have prompted the excision or damaging of the vas-deferens or even the Prostate itself, but these factors are unknown from your Post.

In any event it is unlikely, in my layman's OPINION (I am not a Doctor) that ejaculation, or lack of it, is unlikely the cause of your PSA elevation, but the cause could still be benign (non-cancerous) rather than Cancerous, with Prostatitis (inflammation) being a real possibility.

Of course, it COULD also be Cancer and further investigation by your professional advisors is necessary to determine its actual source.

As Replicant suggested, you may wish to pose the question to Dr. Judd Moul (MD) on this site. who is much better prepared to answer your question with authority, than am I. Good luck! - John@newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center