Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Choice between brachi therapy and radiation.
Bittermelon posted:
I have prostate cancer gleason score 3+3. Surgery is my third choice due to prior surgeries and potential of scar tissues. So I am trying to decide between radiation and brachi therapy. I am mainly concern about potential side effects. What's the main difference between the 2 therapies. Brachi has the advantage of one time procedure, vs 5 weeks of radiation.

Wannabeseaturtle responded:
My husband in facing these decisions also. I, too, think surgery is too invasive for this level of cancer. I would think the Brachi is the least invasive but would like to hear from those who have had it done...side effects? Regrets? Thank you!

az4peaks2 responded:
Hi to you both, - I have an article, just Posted today on another Website and too lengthy for Posting here, that reasonably addresses the considerations for choosing a Primary treatment.

Although, it does not effectively address the age consideration, in my opinion, it does provide a realively balanced look at varying factors in, treatment considerations.

It is written by an anonymous Urologist. You should find it interesting and, hopefully, helpful. I would be happy to provide an E-mail copy to anyone making a specific request to: John@newPCa.org
(aka) az4peaks

Bittermelon replied to Wannabeseaturtle's response:
I just attended the Brachy therapy workshop last week. In my opinion it seems more invasive than the External Beam Radiation. Yes it only takes one treatment, but that treatment stays with you for awhile. For example, they recommend no children sitting on your lap for 6 months. You'll activate airport security because you are actually radioactive. Radiation may take a number of treatments, but with the modern technique it's more focused and does not appear to have long lasting effects. I'll see a urologist surgeon next week, so I'll get another opinion. But right now I am leaning towards radiation.

epunum replied to az4peaks2's response:
I would like a copy and also would like your thoughts on seed implantation followed by external beam as practiced by RCOG and others.

Fairwind replied to epunum's response:
A recent, large study by some of the best doctors in the business has come to the conclusion that the best overall treatment is brachy beam radiation. This protocol delivers the highest possible dose (of radiation) and produces the best results..It works BEST on the higher risk PC patients..When you are dealing with Gleason 6, all the recognized treatments seem to work equally well so you can choose your treatment based on the side-effect risk...http://www.prostatecancertreatmentcenter.com/ProstateCancer/ProstateCancerResultsStudyGroup.aspx

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center